Welcome to Ash Class
Check us out on twitter under the username 'ccwalshaw'.
We regularly update it with pictures and tweets about different things happening in our class and as a whole school.
Welcome back to the new Spring Term. I hope you all had a restful and happy Christmas. As always, thank you parents for your wonderful support and well done to the children for working so hard during the Autumn Term!
If you have any queries or problems I will be available before and after school and will be happy to help you. Can I remind you that Ash children are picked up at 3.25 at the door down the side of the building in the KS1 outdoor play area.
Please do check the notice board and your children's book bags daily for any letters and information about events.
Monday 6th January Return to school
Friday 24th January Friends Quiz Night- Details to follow
Week Beg. 3rd February Chinese Friendship Visit
Friday 6th February Adrian Bowden's Science Show in school
Thursday 13th February Valentine Disco
Friday 14th February School closes for half-term
Thursday 5th March World Book Day
Friday 13th March Sport Relief
Monday 23rd March Parents' Evening
Wednesday 25th March Parents' Evening
Friday 27th March Friends Easter Bingo
Friday 3rd April Term ends at 3.30pm
Would You Like to go on an Arctic/Antarctic Adventure?
The children will find out about Scott of the Antarctic, They will compare temperatures in the Poles and in Britain; research the effects of global warming on the Poles; find out about native creatures and create art inspired by the landscapes of the Poles.
PE- This half term we will be doing net and wall games with coach Rick on Thursdays and dance on Fridays.
- Following the Maths No Problem approach we will be looking in detail and developing our maths skills in:
- We will be continuing work on phase 5 of the letters and sounds programme. In this phase the children will learn new graphemes for reading.
We will be working on the books
The reading skills we will be developing are:
- Applying phonic knowledge and skills appropriately
- Reading accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words
- Reading common exception words and words with more than one syllable
- Reading aloud accurately
- Discussing the significance of the title and events
- Making inferences on the basis of what is being said and done
- Predicting what might happen on the basis of what has been read so far
- Developing pleasure in reading
The writing skills we will be developing are:
- Saying out loud what we are going to write about
- Sequencing sentences to form short narratives
- Using a capital letter for names of people, places, the days of the week, and the personal pronoun ‘I’
- Beginning to punctuate sentences using a capital letter and a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark
- Good To Be Me followed by Going for Goals.
PE days are Thursday and Friday. Please ensure your child has their PE kit on these days.
Learning at Home
Spellings will be sent out shortly.
Home Reading Books are changed every Friday.
Bug Club will be set on Friday’s every fortnight- please let us know if you have any trouble accessing the website and we will do our best to solve any issues.
We will change Year 1's reading books every Friday. The purpose of the home reading book is to consolidate decoding skills and comprehension and develop fluency and expression. Please read with your child each week, asking them questions about the story, and sign the reading record so we know to give them a new book. Any additional comments in the reading records are welcomed. Bug Club will also be updated every fortnight.
In school the children will also have two guided reading sessions each week. These sessions will provide differentiated teaching of reading and will secure progress by providing opportunities for children to practice their learning. We currently use a breadth of reading schemes including Bug Club books, Oxford Reading Tree, Collins and Big Cat.
In the teaching of Phonics we follow the Letters and Sounds programme for 20 minutes daily.
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!