Welcome to Beech Class
Check us out on twitter under the username 'ccwalshaw'.
We regularly update it with pictures and tweets about different things happening in our class and as a whole school.
Welcome to the second half of the Autumn term and thank you for your support. Last half term the children made a super start to the new school year and worked really hard. I hope they enjoyed their well deserved break. The next half term is very busy and full of exciting events.
If you have any queries please see me before or after school and I will be happy to help.
Monday 29th October 2018 Return to school
Friday 16th November Children in Need
Monday 19th November Trip to Jodrell Bank
Friday 30th November Visit to the Pantomime
Tuesday 4th December Tree decorating Assembly
Monday 10th December Home Learning Challenges due in
Wednesday 12th December Key Stage One Nativity
Monday 17th December Carol Service at Christ Church
Wednesday 18th December Christmas Party
Our Curriculum focus this half term
Our first text is " Man on the Moon" by Simon Bartram
- Applying phonic knowledge and skills appropriately
- Reading accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words
- Reading common exception words and words with more than one syllable
- Reading aloud accurately
- Discussing the significance of the title and events
- Making inferences on the basis of what is being said and done
- Predicting what might happen on the basis of what has been read so far
- Developing pleasure in reading
- Reading a range of books to build up fluency and confidence.
- Saying out loud what we are going to write about
- Sequencing sentences to form short narratives
- Using a capital letter for names of people, places, the days of the week, and the personal pronoun ‘I’
- Beginning to punctuate sentences using a capital letter and a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark Learning and applying grammar and spelling learnt in phase 5 /6phonics
- Re-reading and checking our writing to check it makes sense
- Writing for a range of purposes including letters and recounts;
Using the Maths No problem approach we will be looking at:
Adding and subtracting by using number bonds
Adding by counting on
Completing number sentences
Subtracting by crossing out and counting back.
Children will begin to develop their ability to make addition and subtraction number stories and solving picture problems.
Multiplying and dividing by 2 5 and 10.
Measuring lengths in centimetres and metres
Weighing objects in grams and kilograms
Developing problem solving and reasoning skills
Going for Goals. Children focus on motivation and self awareness. The children reflect upon how they learn most effectively.
How Did We Reach the Moon? We will find out about the position of the moon in space and find out who has travelled into space , focussing on the Apollo 11 Moon landing in 1969. We will visit Jodrell Bank Space Telescope which will really bring this topic to life for the children.
Identifying materials. Children will group and sort materials according to their properties
Please ensure your child has a PE kit in school at all times.
PE will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Please check your child's book bag for letters and information daily.
Learning at Home .
Home Reading Books are changed every Friday.
Home Learning Challenge Details to follow
Bug Club will be set on Friday’s every other week please let us know if you have any trouble accessing the website and we will do our best to solve any issues.
We will change the children's reading books every Friday. The purpose of the home reading book is to consolidate decoding skills and comprehension and develop fluency and expression. Please read with your child each week, asking them questions about the story, and sign the reading record so we know to give them a new book. Any additional comments in the reading records are welcomed. Bug Club will also be updated every other week.
In school the children will also have two guided reading sessions each week. These sessions will provide differentiated teaching of reading and will secure progress by providing opportunities for children to practice their learning. We currently use a breadth of reading schemes including Bug Club books, Oxford Reading Tree, Collins and Big Cat.
In the teaching of Phonics we follow the Letters and Sounds programme. Children are taught within differentiated groups for 20 minutes daily.
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!