Welcome to Beech Class
Check us out on twitter under the username 'ccwalshaw'.
We regularly update it with pictures and tweets about different things happening in our class and as a whole school.
Welcome back to the second half of the Spring term 2019. I hope the children enjoyed their half term break and are
looking forward to the challenges and exciting activities ahead. Thank you for your continuing support, particular thanks to
those who brought dinosaur related artefacts into school. We are always grateful for objects and books to enhance our
PE days have changed and are now Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
If you have any queries please see me before or after school and I will be happy to help.
Monday 25th February 2019 - Return to school
Thursday 7th March 2019 - World Book Day
Friday 15th March 2019 - Comic Relief Day
Monday 25th March 2019 - Parents Evening
Wednesday 27th March 2019 - Parents Evening
Friday 5th April 2019 -School closes for Easter Holidays
Our Curriculum focus this half term
We shall be looking at "The Snail and the Whale" by Julia Donaldson.
- Applying phonic knowledge and skills appropriately
- Reading accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words
- Reading common exception words and words with more than one syllable
- Reading aloud accurately
- Discussing the significance of the title and events
- Making inferences on the basis of what is being said and done
- Predicting what might happen on the basis of what has been read so far
- Developing pleasure in reading
- Reading a range of books to build up fluency and confidence.
- Saying out loud what we are going to write about
- Sequencing sentences to form short narratives
- Using a capital letter for names of people, places, the days of the week, and the personal pronoun ‘I’
- Beginning to punctuate sentences using a capital letter and a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark Learning and applying grammar and spelling learnt in phase 5 /6phonics
- Re-reading and checking our writing to check it makes sense
- Looking at the features of fiction texts.
- Writing for a range of purposes
Using the Maths No problem approach we will be looking at:
Numbers to 20, counting on from 10, writing number names to 20, Comparing and ordering numbers. Using more than, less than, greater than. Adding and subtracting.
Year Two Making equal parts Recognising halves quarters and then moving on to thirds. Comparing and ordering fractions. Telling the time.
We shall continue our dinosaur topic for the first 2 weeks of this half term and then will be moving on to our new topic. "What do we Know About our Blue Planet" The children will be finding out more about the fossil hunter Mary Anning and considering why the dinosaurs died out. In our new topic they shall be finding out about the oceans and the animals who live in them. Children will use maps and atlases to locate the continents and the countries that make up the United Kingdom.
We shall begin by looking at the weather and seasons.
Please ensure your child has a PE kit in school at all times.
PE will be on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
Please check your child's book bag for letters and information daily.
Learning at Home .
Home Reading Books are changed every Friday.
Home Learning Challenge Details to follow
Bug Club will be set on Friday’s every other week please let us know if you have any trouble accessing the website and we will do our best to solve any issues.
We will change the children's reading books every Friday. The purpose of the home reading book is to consolidate decoding skills and comprehension and develop fluency and expression. Please read with your child each week, asking them questions about the story, and sign the reading record so we know to give them a new book. Any additional comments in the reading records are welcomed. Bug Club will also be updated every other week.
In school the children will also have two guided reading sessions each week. These sessions will provide differentiated teaching of reading and will secure progress by providing opportunities for children to practice their learning. We currently use a breadth of reading schemes including Bug Club books, Oxford Reading Tree, Collins and Big Cat.
Bug Club will be set fortnightly Logins and passwords can be found in your child's reading record and are the same as last year.
In the teaching of Phonics we follow the Letters and Sounds programme. Children are taught within differentiated groups for 20 minutes daily.
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!