Welcome to Beech Class
Check us out on twitter under the username 'ccwalshaw'.
We regularly update it with pictures and tweets about different things happening in our class and as a whole school.
Welcome back to the Summer term 2019. I hope you all had a wonderful Easter break. Thank you for your support last term and for the wonderful Home learning challenge work the children produced. We have another exciting half term ahead and I'm sure the children are really looking forward to our trip to The Blue Planet Aquarium which will enrich and enhance their learning about oceans.
PE days Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please ensure your child has a full P.E kit in school.
If you have any queries please see me before or after school and I will be happy to help.
Return to school on Tuesday 23rd April 2019
Trip to The Blue Planet Aquarium Thursday May 2nd 2019
Bank Holiday Monday 6th May 2019
Scholl closes for half term break Friday 24th May 2019
Our Curriculum focus this half term
We shall be looking at The Storm Whale by Benji Davies
- Applying phonic knowledge and skills appropriately
- Reading accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words
- Reading common exception words and words with more than one syllable
- Reading aloud accurately
- Discussing the significance of the title and events
- Making inferences on the basis of what is being said and done
- Predicting what might happen on the basis of what has been read so far
- Developing pleasure in reading
- Reading a range of books to build up fluency and confidence.
- Saying out loud what we are going to write about
- Sequencing sentences to form short narratives
- Using a capital letter for names of people, places, the days of the week, and the personal pronoun ‘I’
- Beginning to punctuate sentences using a capital letter and a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark Learning and applying grammar and spelling learnt in phase 5 /6phonics
- Re-reading and checking our writing to check it makes sense
- Looking at the features of fiction texts.
- Writing for a range of purposes
Using the Maths No problem approach we will be looking at:
Numbers to 40 addition and subtraction word problems and an introduction to multiplication and division.
Year Two Measuring Volume Solving word problems and revision and consolidation of maths learning.
We shall be continuing with our topic"What do we Know About our Blue Planet" and will be finding out about countries that make up the United Kingdom and look at the capital cities of the 4 countries as well learning about their flags. We shall be naming and locating the continents and oceans using maps and globes.. We will be focussing on art and DT within our topic using collage and weaving techniques. The children will be finding out about the work of the artist Helen Bradley.
In Science we are finding out about materials as well as ongoing work about changes in the seasons.
Please ensure your child has a PE kit in school at all times.
PE will be on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
Please check your child's book bag for letters and information daily.
Learning at Home .
Home Reading Books are changed every Friday.
Home Learning Challenge Details to follow
Bug Club will be set on Friday’s every other week please let us know if you have any trouble accessing the website and we will do our best to solve any issues.
We will change the children's reading books every Friday. The purpose of the home reading book is to consolidate decoding skills and comprehension and develop fluency and expression. Please read with your child each week, asking them questions about the story, and sign the reading record so we know to give them a new book. Any additional comments in the reading records are welcomed. Bug Club will also be updated every other week.
In school the children will also have two guided reading sessions each week. These sessions will provide differentiated teaching of reading and will secure progress by providing opportunities for children to practice their learning. We currently use a breadth of reading schemes including Bug Club books, Oxford Reading Tree, Collins and Big Cat.
Bug Club will be set fortnightly Logins and passwords can be found in your child's reading record and are the same as last year.
In the teaching of Phonics we follow the Letters and Sounds programme. Children are taught within differentiated groups for 20 minutes daily.
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!