Welcome to Ash Class
Check us out on twitter under the username 'ccwalshaw'.
We regularly update it with pictures and tweets about different things happening in our class and as a whole school.
Welcome to the first half of the Summer Term!
Time is really flying and it is hard to believe that we are already starting our final term together.
We are very happy to say that Miss Stone will be joining us back in May for the final weeks of her placement before she is a qualified teacher!
Thank you for all your continued support with home learning.
We welcome any books or artefacts linking to our current learning. Please find out about what we are currently learning about further down this page or on the Summer 1 Newsletter, you will find a digital copy on this page and another copy will be on the Key Stage 1 Noticeboard outside of the KS1 office.
Your child will have 2 Bug Club books set every fortnight, please can both books be read every 2 weeks ready for the next books to be set.
Your username and password will be the same as last year and should be in your childs' Reading Record.
If this is not the case, or you have any trouble logging in, please contact one of the teachers and we will be happy to help!
23rd April- Return back to school
2nd May- KS1 trip to Blue Planet Aquarium
9th May- Ash Class Assembly, 9am for family members to watch
6th May- May Day Bank Holiday
24th May- Finish for May Half Term
3rd June- Return to school
3rd June- Art focus week based on Gustav Klimt
10th June- Phonics Screening Check Week
14th June- Sports Day
Under the Sea
We will be looking at:
- The continents and oceans
- The countries, capital cities and flags of countries in the United Kingdom
- Key physical features of seaside and oceans
- Comparing human features to man made features
- Creating 'Under the Sea' collages
- Studying and reproducing art in the style of Helen Bradley
- Looking at world issues such as sea pollution and plastic
We are going to be basing our trip to Blue Planet Aquarium on this topic.
Please ensure your child has a PE kit in school at all times.
This term, PE will be on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Please check your child's book bag for letters and information daily.
||PE kit needed
||PE kit needed
Reading book due in
Bug Club set fortnightly
Our Curriculum Focus this half term
Maths- Following the Maths No Problem approach we will be looking in detail and developing our maths skills in:
- Numbers to 40
- Addition and Subtraction Word Problems
Phonics- We will be working on phase 5 of the letters and sounds programme. In this phase the children will learn new graphemes for reading.
English- We will be working on the book 'The Storm Whale' by Benji Davies
The reading skills we will be developing are:
- Applying phonic knowledge and skills appropriately
- Reading accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words
- Reading common exception words and words with more than one syllable
- Reading aloud accurately
- Discussing the significance of the title and events
- Making inferences on the basis of what is being said and done
- Predicting what might happen on the basis of what has been read so far
- Developing pleasure in reading
The writing skills we will be developing are:
- Saying out loud what we are going to write about
- Sequencing sentences to form short narratives
- Using a capital letter for names of people, places, the days of the week, and the personal pronoun ‘I’
- Beginning to punctuate sentences using a capital letter and a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark
RE- Our theme will be Easter
SEAL- Getting on and Falling Out
Science- Types of Animals and Seasons (change over time)
Learning at Home
Spellings will be sent out shortly.
Home Reading Books are changed every Friday.
Bug Club will be set on Friday’s every fortnight- please let us know if you have any trouble accessing the website and we will do our best to solve any issues.
We will change Year 1's reading books every Friday. The purpose of the home reading book is to consolidate decoding skills and comprehension and develop fluency and expression. Please read with your child each week, asking them questions about the story, and sign the reading record so we know to give them a new book. Any additional comments in the reading records are welcomed. Bug Club will also be updated every fortnight.
In school the children will also have two guided reading sessions each week. These sessions will provide differentiated teaching of reading and will secure progress by providing opportunities for children to practice their learning. We currently use a breadth of reading schemes including Bug Club books, Oxford Reading Tree, Collins and Big Cat.
In the teaching of Phonics we follow the Letters and Sounds programme. Children are taught within differentiated groups for 20 minutes daily.
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!